Saturday, May 10, 2008

Purse Planters


I wanted to do something fun for Mother's Day, and came up with purse planters. I had a lot of fun making these.

I looked for fabric flowerpot style purses at the Sally Anne down the street.

I sealed them with epoxy compounds, I had from Kayak building to preserve, and water proof them.


It is a good idea to use a respirator, and rubber gloves with epoxy.


I stuffed the purses with plastic bags to give them form. Epoxy will not stick to silicon, and plastic. I applied the first coats of epoxy to just the outside. When the outside had hardened, I was able to apply additional coats to the inside, and outside. Most fabric can be buried in the epoxy with three coats. Check your work in the first hour to smooth out any drips. You will need to sand between coats.


I drilled drainage holes in the bottom of each purse. I didn't worry the holes were a little small. I knew with the small size of the planters they would dry out quickly in the summer heat.

I hung the purses while drying to fix the handle in an upright position.


My favorite was this delicate sequenced evening bag. I planted it with apricot punch, and cherry blast calibrocoa. This one is for my Mommy.


The others were a little larger and could accommodate geraniums, and typical basket stuffers. The sequence details on the handles look great under the epoxy, and will never fall off.


This one had embroidered flowers. I won't be able to go through the Sally Anne now without checking out the purses. I was able to pay between a few cents, and about $4 for my finds.

This one came out very shiny, it was of a synthetic fabric. These ones take much less epoxy, but drip easily.

Another cotton bag. I wonder what else I can make into planters. I have seen children's blue jeans, shoes, and shorts planted.


This one came with plastic bottom, and handles, so I didn't need to seal those parts. I hope you enjoyed these, if you have any questions about epoxy, or the planters I would be happy to comment.













2 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

How fun and perfect for Mother's day. My mom would love these. She's the queen of shoes and matching purses. --Curmudgeon

Sunita Mohan said...

Perfect gift for someone who loves bags!Great idea.
I came here via Blotanical and stayed to browse and browse.